"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

10 June 2010

Body Pump class and other random things

I have been feeling a bit, um, out of shape for the last few months (basically since we returned from our honeymoon). So, I decided to do something about it. Last week I went to my first Body Pump class at a local 24-Hour Fitness. I.loved.every.minute.of.it. Seriously. Totally what I want/need in a workout. Cardio, weights, good music and it was all over in an hour. Plus, I went with my good friend and she showed me what to do. I left last week and felt damn good. I wondered why I hadn't done it before because even when my legs felt like they were going to collapse, I was still loving it. I went again tonight, this time I was solo. Still fun, but there is something about having a girlfriend with you, you know? Then when you do something stupid, there is someone else to laugh at/with you.


Seriously though, it made me realize that I need sometime away from my house to do something for myself in regards to my physical health. Which leads me to a story. Last week, I made dinner for Josh & Reese. Now, it wasn't the most exciting dinner, but it was warm, it was food & it was on the table with no help from either one of them. They both sat down, looked at the food and Reese says "is this what we are eating for dinner?!?" (Well, yes it is what we are eating for dinner, unless of course you want to make something else instead...I didn't say it out loud, but I was thinking it!) Josh doesn't say much, but he did eat the Swiss chard & millet & chicken. Reese takes two bites and then says, "I'm done eating. You can take it away now." I think the next noise that was heard was my chin hitting the floor. When we both recovered, Reese found herself on her way to her room and I said, "I'm going to go for a walk. I'll be home in a little while." I put on my shoes and out the front door I went. I thought while I walked and this is one of the things that I kept thinking about: Um, Hello, Family? Does anyone realize that MAYBE I DON'T WANT TO COOK DINNER EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? Maybe I can't think of one good thing to make & even if I did, I would quickly realize that I was missing most of the main ingredients?? I actually enjoy making dinner most nights & most of the time I make really good food & dinner that night was good food. It just wasn't what either one of them expected. Well, I'm sure that Rachel Ray's husband can remember a few nights when dinner wasn't what he expected either.



(I also thought, "Damn. My daughter can be sassy. Oh, I know she didn't get that from me!" Oh, wait...that's my daughter that we are talking about).

This is one discombobulated post. I am tired, I wanted to write about something else, but then I couldn't think about how to write about it, so I switched subjects and this is what we ended up with. I think that I need to go to bed now...

But before I do, I will leave you with this:

Here is another random photo of Rachel Ray on Sesame Street. The word of the day the day that she was on the show was Pumpernickel. I love that word!


{Rachel is the shit}



4 comments:

  1. I love Body Pump too! I took it at my old gym and it was a great workout. Good for you for taking some "me" time. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I would have LOVED your dinner of swiss chard, millet & chicken!! How do you prepare millet? I see it in the store and always want to buy it, but have NO idea how to do it. I know how to make cous cous, amaranth, rice, and quinoa. But millet? How??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate cooking too - I fear I am quite bad at it and am scared to try new recipes becasue I'm not sure I'm doing it right. HOWEVER last Christmas my sister-in-law shared with me a website (www.thepioneerwoman.com) and on that website she has a section about cooking. IT'S. SO. AWESOME. She has about 8 billion recipes posted online and they range from ridiculously easy to terrifyingly complicated but (here's the best part) they come with pictures! Step-by-step pictures of what the dish is supposed to look like at this point and how you are supposed to do this or that. Again, I must reiterate: SO. AWESOME. It changed my life and how I feel about cooking - you should check it out. (Also after I tried one of her recipes for the first time my husband begged me to please make it again once a week - sooooooooooo yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husbands are wise enough to shut it when they get creepy meals, but kids say it out loud. Although your meal sounds fairly normal (well except I am obviously not on with the chicken part.

    PSI think Rachel Ray and Miley Cyrus look related. Anybody else?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails