"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

03 November 2010

Easy & Delicious

My dear friend Andrea told me that I should put some recipes up on my blog.  Like a good girl who always does what she is told, that is what I decided to do today. I love to cook and bake and I have a passion for natural and organic foods, {but I rarely do as I'm told}...

This recipe was featured on a morning news show in Denver, Daybreak on The Deuce.  The Dessert Diva, is on the show weekly and her recipes are easy and made with real ingredients...but they are not complicated to make.  I made this last week when my grandparents were in town on their way to spend the winter in the warm Arizona sun and out of cold Wisconsin.  My Grandfather, known as Poppy, will be turning 88 on November 17th.  He is not a dessert guy, but he loved this one.  He actually said "whoever made this knew what they were doing!"  Totally made my day.

I changed a few things from the original.  I added pears in addition to the apples and switched the all-purpose flour out for whole wheat pastry flour to make it a bit better for you.  You can find the original recipe here.  The cinnamon glaze is what really makes it. If you don't like things really sweet, cut the glaze recipe in half.  This cake is really good the next day!

APPLE-PEAR CINNAMON CAKE with CINNAMON GLAZE

2 medium sized apples (organic Gala or Granny Smith), cored & chopped- they don't have to be perfect!
2 medium semi-ripe organic pears, cored & chopped
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- toss them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat.  Stir frequently. You'll be able to smell them when they are about ready.

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry flour*
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1
teaspoon baking powder
1/4
teaspoon salt
1
teaspoon cinnamon
6
Tablespoons melted unsalted butter
3 eggs
1
teaspoon vanilla
 
*whole wheat pastry flour is soft and bakes like all-purpose flour, but is much more nutritious.  I use it in everything: pancakes, quick breads, cookies, etc.  They turn out a bit darker in color, but not enough to make a difference.  My husband hasn't noticed!

preheat oven to 350
8x8 square baking pan
lightly grease or use parchment paper on bottom (this makes it much easier to lift out)

chop walnuts and toast for 5-7 minutes, take out and set aside
Core and roughly chop the apples. Toss with lemon juice and set aside

In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter, eggs and vanilla (batter will appear a little thick) until well combined.

Fold in apples until covered with batter, Stir in toasted walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool. Prepare glaze. Take cake out of pan if desired and place on serving platter. Drizzle with cinnamon glaze and let set. Cut and serve. ENJOY!

CINNAMON GLAZE

1 cup powdered sugar

1
teaspoon cinnamon
2
Tablespoons milk
combine and whisk until smooth. It will start out a bit lumpy, but keep whisking it.  This is a good project for kids 6 and up;) Pour milk in slowly.  You can add more if you prefer a thin glaze, less if you want a thick one.

Enjoy!

I have a picture of it on my blackberry...now, if I could just figure out how to upload a picture from it onto my blog...

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails