"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

29 January 2010

Product Review Friday: Lip Balm

If there was one product that I would have a hard time living without, it would be Lip Balm, or as Mom calls it, "Lip Chap." Not sure where that name came from, but I do come from a family that likes to make up names for ordinary things, so that is what we call it. Living in Colorado at 5,280 feet above sea level & in a dry climate, living without lip balm & lotion would be hard to do. Being a lover of natural products, I am going to give you a Lip Balm Review today.


1: Alba Botanica: I love this company, especially the Coconut Cream Lip Balm. It is my #1 Favorite. Great hint of coconut flavor & scent, but not overpowering or artificial. It also gives your lips a really nice sheen, without being too much. It is also really creamy & feels nice on the lips.


Alba Botanica is a environmentally-conscience company, with a large product line. I really, really love their bath & shower gels. Their body lotions are made without petrolatum or any other petroleum-based ingredients and they moisturize really well. Are they really expensive? No. They are reasonably priced & you can buy their lotions in large bottles(32 oz). I look for them on sale at Whole Foods & then I buy 2 for the price of 1!



2: Badger Balm: I found out about this line of natural care products when my sister gave me the Mocha Cocoa lip balm as a stocking stuffer one Christmas. The lip balms come in a slightly larger tube and they use Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter and Organic Olive Oil combined with other organic ingredients to make a rich and creamy lip balm.



I like Badger Balm not just because they make quality products, but they are a really fantastic & thoughtful company. They started in New Hampshire in 1995, in the kitchen of Bill & Katie Whyte and their daughters Mia, Emily and Rebecca. Bill Whyte would make a salve to help heal his hands, which suffered in the New Hampshire winters. He would make a batch of "The Original Healing Balm in his kitchen using Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, Castor Oil, Aloe Vera and Essential Oil of Sweet Birch—a traditional New England herbal remedy." The stuff worked and it was the beginning of Badger Balm!
They are very family friendly & a company that has embraced a workplace policy of bringing babies to work with "the idea behind the program is to encourage the baby/parent bond in its most critical time, the first six months of life." {Wow. I was getting phone calls from our HR department when Reese was barely 3 weeks old, asking when I would be returning to work...needless to say, I didn't return to that job.} Obviously, they take in account safety issues when it comes to bringing a baby to work. They are thinking about what is really important to the families that work there. That is something to consider when you purchase things from a company like Badger Balm. Yes, they might be slightly more expensive, but the extra cost is buying you high quality products with ingredients that won't harm you, the earth, the people who provide the ingredients or the people who make the products. Plus, you are supporting a company that supports their employees & their families. You are making a difference, one tube of lip balm at a time.

**update***everything in quotes is from the Badger Balm website. Check it out to learn more!


3: Burt's Bees: Now, how could I not mention Burt's Bees? I have been using this delightful lip balm for years. It is comforting on your lips and has just enough peppermint oil to make them feel good. This is the original in the old school tin. My only issue with the tin is that it is hard to open, especially if you have lotion on your hands. You may laugh, but ask anyone who lives in Colorado & they will tell you that you have to put lotion on your hands about 100 times a day. Seriously.

They also make natural lip glosses that are deelish. Love them!


You may or not know this, but Clorox bought Burt's Bees about 2 years ago. I read a great article in the New York Times, which gives all the details of the story. It is very informative.


Well, there you have it. Short & sweet. Have a great weekend!


{All images are from each company's website}

2 comments:

  1. I love the coconut Alba lib balm you gave me. It really does give your lips a nice sheen without being too glossy. I love Burts Bees too. While my climate isn't nearly as dry as yours, I still have to have chap stick everywhere I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loves the Alba - he gets seriously dry lips. The Burts Replenishing lip balm w/pomegranate is fab.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails