"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

19 January 2010

Oprah: No Phone Zone Pledge


I watched Oprah yesterday and was moved to tears by her show on the deadly dangers of talking & texting while driving. It made me realize that I am guilty of talking on the phone while I drive and it really made me aware of how dangerous it is.

So, I took the pledge:

"I pledge to make my car a No Phone Zone. Beginning right now, I will do my part to help put an end to distracted driving by not texting or using my phone while I am driving. I will ask other drivers I know to do the same. I pledge to make a difference."

I know that it is hard, especially on your way home from work or if you are having a really bad day. It seems that is the time that I usually call someone. I thought that I wasn't on the highway, so it wasn't as dangerous, etc. But it is. I would never forgive myself if I hurt my child or someone else, just because I was on the phone.

Here are 2 examples of driving while talking on your cell phone:

{Undistracted Driving}





{Distracted Driving}

Notice how the peripheral becomes unfocused. It is almost like having tunnel vision-the details (people, bikes, animals, etc) fade out of sight.

Will you join me in taking the pledge? Here is the link to Oprah.com

(banner & photos from Oprah.com)

2 comments:

  1. I recorded that Oprah episode but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. It might be hard at first but I will take the pledge as well. I just don't know when we will talk now!! J/k...love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already there with you. I am a frightened driver so I've never gotten into the whole cell phone/driving thing, but I promise to continue on that path.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails