"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

28 January 2010

The But...Monkey

**This post is laden with swear words. Not intentionally, just sort of happened. Just thought I'd let you know before**

The But...Monkey. This was not a term that I even knew existed until the other night during a conversation I had with my Dad. My Dad is the best. We have our share of disagreements...He is the lone republican in our house full of Democrats, so you can imagine some of the conversations that take place when we are over at their house. Still, he is my Dad and he owns his own business & he is very hard working. He is also funny & makes up his own words for everything & I love him. Anyway, we were talking about various things & I told him about the last Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien and the post that I wrote about it. He then came back with, "yeah, but....I'm sure that the check for 33 million from NBC helped." This is when I was introduced to the technical term of But...Monkey. It better get ready to get its ass kicked. I don't use this word very often, but I hate the But...Monkey. It usually takes something positive and turns it into shit right before your very eyes!

For example:

  • "Wow! The dinner you made was delicious, but...the wine you picked sort of sucked."

  • "The party was great, but...there were some things that were sort of disorganized."

Maybe I sound like I am being totally sensitive & even whiny, but it is sort of like the other person takes a pin and pops your balloon (the pin being the "but..." and the balloon being your idea, project, meal, party, etc). It is just disappointing. You most likely know where or what the negatives are. So my question is this: Why do other people always feel the need to point them out??


I am also learning that having a thicker skin helps in kicking the But...Monkey's ass.


P.S. After doing some research, okay googling 'But Monkey,' I found out there are several different meanings, including Laura Ingraham's site, where she even has some audio clips of famous But...Monkeys. (She is anti-but...monkey, but not the same way that I am. No surprise there) But don't worry, none of that shit will be linked to this blog...I like to keep my blog full of good vibes and I looked on her site & didn't see any of that there, but...I did see a lot of whining and complaining! Hahahahahaha...take that But...Monkey!


{photo from here}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails