"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tightly closed in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to BLOOM…This is the Element of Freedom"

-Alicia Keys

13 February 2009

About that last post...

Did I say that I was going to practice Self-Discipline and post my 2009 Goals? Yes, I believe that I did...and then Life happens. I decided on Sunday afternoon while Reese had "quiet time" that I was going to forgo the ENORMOUS pile of unfolded laundry and get my desk/organization/letter writing center set up. I have a very old desk that once belonged to my grandmother. It is small & doesn't have much storage, but I love it anyway. I really want to refinish it, but that is another post for another day. I looked at the pile of laundry. I looked at the desk. I made the decision to put the laundry down & do something that I needed & wanted to do, but never make the time to do. I do this because all of the daily stuff takes priority.
This desk has been in my storage unit for the last 4.5 years and when I moved into the apartment, I couldn't wait to have a space where I could keep my stuff, have a system for my mail and bills and paper. I have a very difficult time with organizing that type of thing. I have tried, seemingly without much success, many different ways to teach myself how to tame The Dreaded Paper Tiger. Looking back, I may have thought that I had failed, but now I realize that I didn't fail at all. I learned what didn't work for me by trying something new out. I think that when you have a linear brain, paper & organization is second nature. When you are a visual thinker this seems like an insurmountable task, with inevitable failure. With that, a low level of self-confidence and crazy ADD brain, it seems impossible to conquer. So, add in (yes, pun intended!) some Self-Discipline and some fun & you can do what used to intimidate you!
***update*** here are some photos (Before & After)

Before:

{this is actually from July, when we moved in, but you get the idea!}
After!!



{Please notice the artwork that has been taped up on the desk and the wall under the bulletin board...this is Reese's addition to our apartment...she has taped up at least 30 different pictures all over the place...that is a post of its own!}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails